Author Spotlight: #Margaret Norton

                                                                     When Ties BreakRemember the Inspirational Memoir I reviewed the other day "When Ties Break" , Well Today reader's I have the author Margaret Norton here to answer a few questions for The Phantom Paragrapher.

Bio : Margaret Norton :

Margaret Whichard, writing as Margaret Norton, has survived a life of abuse, loss, and emotional despair. She’s now sharing her story and helping others in similar situations with her book, When Ties Break (Tate Publishing, August 2010, 249 pages). Janet Grace Riehl, author of The Sightlines collection, states in the foreword, “Margaret turned the lessons gained during a tumultuous life into a source of wisdom for women struggling with past pain and future directions.”

What are some life struggles Margaret has survived? Sibling abuse, family estrangement, spousal abuse, abortion, divorce, death of loved ones, drug recovery, financial duress, illness, sexual exploration, and career change have all challenged Margaret at one time or another in her life. Through strength, perseverance, and a belief in prayer and God, she has made it through these “tumultuous” times and is now a stronger person, ready to share herself with readers. She believes her story can help break the cycle of abuse—one person at a time.
When Ties Break is a memoir that explores the universal themes of loss and recovery, and answers the question: “Why do bad things happen to good people?” As a domestic violence volunteer, a personal life coach, a Dale Carnegie Coach, and a Stephen Minister, Margaret can also speak on many different subjects.
Margaret was born in Williamston, North Carolina and also lived in Harkers Island, Greenville, Wilmington and Lumberton while she was growing up, graduating from Lumberton High School in 1970. Before she graduated from the University of North Carolina-Wilmington in 1984, she also lived in Fayetteville and Charlotte (North Carolina) in the early 1970s. Wilmington, where she raised her two children, Allen and Beverly Holmes, is where she calls home. After three years in Columbia, South Carolina from 1994 to 1997, she moved to St Louis, Missouri for eleven years before returning to her home state of North Carolina and settling in Greensboro.

                                                                   When Ties Break
Interview With The Author :

1) Tell us about your book When Ties Break?


In 2004, I experienced the death of eight individuals. My brother, my mother-in-law, the mothers of three co-workers, a co-worker, the husband of a co-worker and the nephew of a co-worker. As 2005 began, I was paralyzed with grief and started writing to cope with my pain. Initially, I did not plan to write a book but as time went by my writing took on a life of its own.

2) Is there a particular genre or topic that you read more than others and does it reflect in other activities beside reading?
I enjoy reading business or self development books, always on a quest for self improvement. This spills over into all areas of my life. For pleasure I enjoy reading books by Southern authors with the setting down south. Nicholas Sparks is one of my favorites.

3) What gives you the innovation to write a particular genre?

So far all of my writing has been nonfiction, personal essays or short stories and of course my book. I have much life experience to draw from.

4) Has your characters or writing been inspired by friends/ family?

Same as question #3. Most of my family encouraged or inspired me to write but some did not. Some of them are not ready to see their lives on paper.

5) Did you experience writers block? If so, what did you do to get rid of it?

I don't think that I ever experienced writers block. The thoughts seemed to pour out of me. But there were times that it was difficult. How to word this or that? What to include or not include? My book was edited by four individuals before it finally went to press. This helped me get over my writers fear.

6) What are you working on now?

Since my book was released on Aug. 3rd I've had little time to write. I am now promoting my book.

7) What is your favorite scene in your book?

My favorite scene in the book deals with eight cats.It was an event that actually happened. I feel that it was a divine message. At that moment I knew I was healed.

8) Had you previously written anything?

Short stories & devotions.

9) Were there any scenes that were cut in the editing process you wish had made it into the book?

I was very happy with the end product. A few scenes were deleted because they didn't need to be told. Many of the deleted scenes were repetitious.

10) Can you give us one fact we might not know about When Ties Break? Something about the story itself or the writing process?

I came to know that abuse was the common theme that carried through out all the circumstances in my life. It was hard for me to admit that.

11) How did you get into writing? Did you always want to become a writer?

Initially I did not plan to write a book. I started a journal in 2005 at the suggestion of my counselor as a way to deal with grief. I shared this with a few people and their reaction was "that's good, you should write a book." I was working away from home and living in a hotel at the time with lots of free time on weekends. Not really knowing where all this would take me I started turning my journal into my life story.

Some of my friends from high school tell me that I talked about being a writer when I was in school but I don't remember that. Perhaps it was a repressed dream.

12) If you were stranded on a desert island, what are three material things you couldn't be without?


That's a tough one. Naturally I'm thinking water, food and sun screen or bug spray. I love to read and have a large collection of books. I think I could give up TV and my cell phone but not my books. Books would keep me content for a very long time.

13) What are you reading now?

My small group at church is studying Boundaries. So, I'm reading it again - for the 3rd or 4th time.

14) Which author has inspired you most and why?

Probably Dale Carnegie. I took his course the first time in 1977 and it made a lasting impression on my life. I was very insecure at the time and reading his book How to Win Friends and Influence People helped me develop the self confidence that I so badly needed.

15) What advice would you give aspiring authors?

Be persistent. Keep trying. Don't give up.Learn all you can. Read. Join writing groups. Take classes. Follow your heart.

16) As a Quotes Person I always like to ask To finish off, do you have a quote or poem that has stuck with you over the years and what is the story behind it?

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade is a Dale Carnegie quote and has always been my favorite. I also love poetry and my books has numerous poems. None that I authored but some that made a difference in my life. After A While is my favorite. It's on page 95 and was a reprint from an Ann Landers column. After A While these are all the things you learn in life ...................








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Punk 57 - Penelope Douglas

Review: Steel Princess - Rina Kent

Review: Dr. Strange Beard - Penny Reid